Our Standards of Professional Conduct
This code establishes clear and ethical parameters for the Housing Inspection Foundation (HIF), the association of home inspectors. Failure to uphold these professional standards is grounds for temporary suspension or revocation of membership.
- HIF members must conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
- Members always shall act in good faith toward the client.
- Members shall provide a thorough and honest opinion of the structure and its contents in accordance with this code and their professional experience.
- Members shall not accept nor make available commissions or allowances either directly or indirectly, and always will perform as a disinterested third party.
- Members will not disclose any information regarding a home inspection without client approval.
- The home inspector is responsible for alerting the client to the existence of any outside interest which may affect the client or quality of the inspection.
- Members must not use the inspection process to obtain repair or similar work on the inspected property.
- Members must not accept compensation, monetary or otherwise, from more than one client regarding the same service on the same property without the consent of all interested parties.
- Members always shall maintain awareness that they represent an association created to enhance the professional image of the field.
- Members shall report any violations of this code by any member to HIF.